4 Ways to Help with Your Work Permit Renewal

April 4, 2018 0

There are many reasons that would make a person work in foreign country. Some work in the foreign country due to better working conditions, higher pay, or as a transfer to the country by an existing employer. For whichever reason you might find yourself working in a foreign country, a work permit is required.

Working in Canada is no different, and you will need to obtain a work permit if you wish to continue working in the country and renew it if and when necessary. The process of acquiring and renewing your permit is greatly simplified when you use the services of an immigration lawyer and listed below are 4 benefits of engaging the services of one.

1. Find an experienced lawyer

 The process of acquiring and renewing a work permit in Canada is somewhat complicated. Therefore using the services of an immigration lawyer gives you the best chance of successfully completing the process and being given approval to work in Canada. If you anticipate the need to work for more than one term, you need to indicate this in your work permit and will most definitely need to renew the work permit. An immigration lawyer will be able to review your application to ensure it is correct and all information required is included.

Additionally, if you intend to become a permanent resident in Canada, you will need to renew your permit until the process is complete. Therefore you cannot afford to gamble with your chances of having the visa renewed. Therefore, it is important to hire an immigration lawyer who will guide you through the process since they are familiar with it.

2. Aware of time limits

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is the mandated agency that provides and renews work permits of foreign workers in Canada. The department has a timeline on when would be the right time to apply for the renewal of your work permit. However, the time frame given by the department might not be enough to allow you to be successful.

An immigration lawyer will help you know the most appropriate time to apply for the renewal of your work permit. The lawyer is also helpful because he/she will inform you of the documents that you require for a successful application of a new work permit.

3. Assistance with Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) renewals

The LMIA is a document issued by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to an employer allowing them to employ a foreigner instead of a Canadian or a permanent resident. To get this document, the employer must advertise the position so that qualified residents and citizens can apply first. The LMIA is only issued if there is no Canadian citizen or permanent resident qualified or showing interest in the position.

If your work permit is to be renewed, you must confirm that your employer has a positive LMIA document. An immigration lawyer will help you with this process well before your renewal is due. If your employer acquires an LMIA early, you can apply for a renewal of your work permit before your current one expires.

4. Reapplication assistance

At times your application to renew your work permit in Canada might be denied by the IRCC for one reason or another. When you are in such a situation, it is advisable to hire an immigration lawyer.

The IRCC usually gives a 90-day grace period from the time your work permit expires to the time you have to leave Canada. During this time, you must stop working until your permit has been restored. The immigration lawyer will do his/her best to hasten the process of having your work permit renewed.

Leave a comment:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *